Friday, January 7, 2011

Warming Up in a Cold Year

Even the desert is dripping icicles.  Our hot tub has snow on the edges for this past week.  Today however the temp reached 50.  Ed was working all day so it was just me and Fritz to take care of the homestead.  I took him for a walk which took a little convincing because he just splayed his legs and wasn't going to budge.  However, he doesn't know he has met his match.  I think Ed(the softie) is more lenient.  I just took into a jogging pace for a hundred steps.  He didn't know that my New Year's Resolution involves him and that I vowed to walk with him at least three times a week.  I will have to get two more in because it is tough to walk out there when there is snow.  And we played golf yesterday starting in 36 degree and working up to about 48.  Still the sun was shining even though I couldn't putt some balls through rims of ice at the edges of the putting green.  And it was weird to see golf balls hit ponds and then take a 30 ft. bounce on the ice and just roll across the pond.  (not mine)  I must have counted 10 balls on the pond.  I think the men playing ahead of us just wanted to see if the ice would break.  You know how men are.

But I digress.  To get back to Fritz and I he doesn't know that not only does my first resolution involve him, but the second resolution involves intervals in which I follow a rapid jogging pace for a count and then a slow walk for a count.  The second method is to get your body out of routine and to break a plateau in weight loss.  I feel reasonably successful at removing the after-cruise weight.  So much so that I got out all the size l2s I packed away last year and managed to button the buttons and zip the zippers.  Hooray.  Made my day and gave me enthusiasm for the pending walk.

Now to the last resolution:  This one is to revisit closets and drawers and not only clean but rethink the function and practicality of how things have been arranged.  I think motivation came to tackle this chore because of the bright purple rug I bought for the bedroom.  Something about mixing purple and green really charges my system.   At this point I have moved two drawers in the kitchen.  Found new places for all my cookbooks, as well as craft books related to painting, mozaics and writing.

Rainy and cold days make rearranging a good activity to pursue.  The golf courses are usually closed or unbearable and the walks are windy and wet.  Still I need something to tear me away from the computer, the IPAD, the camera, the photos, (I have a large collage board waiting to rearrange family pics.  Most of all I am neglecting my reading.  I dropped Eat, Pray and Love after the first part of Italy.(boring.)  Now What is the What which I do enjoy courtesy of Pat.  Because the Sudan may gain its independence this week I have developed a personal interest in the newsbroadcasts following that happening.  All the information and history make me so glad to be where I am and have the blessings I have in this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment